William Byrd (1542 or 43 - 1623)
Reasons briefly set down by the auctor, to perswade everyone to learne to sing.
First, it is a knowledge easely taught, and quickly learned where there is a good Master, and an apt Scoller.
2. The exercise of singing is delightfull to Nature & good to preserve the health of Man.
3. It doth strengthen all the parts of the brest, & doth open the pipes.
4. It is a singular good remedie for a stutting & stammering in the speech.
5. It is the best meanes to procure a perfect pronunciation & to make a good Orator.
6. It is the onely way ot know where Nature hath bestowed the benefit of a good voyce: which guift is so rare, as there is not one among a thousand, that hath it: and in many, that excellent guift is lost, because they want Art to expresse Nature.
7. There is not any Musicke of Instruments whatsoever, comparable to that which is made of the voyces of Men, where the voyces are good, and the same well sorted and ordered.
8. The better the voyce is, the meeter it is to honour and serve God there-with: and the voyce of man is chiefely to be imployed to that ende.
omnis spiritus laudet Dominum.
Since singing is so good a thing
I wish all men would learne to sing.
-Psalmes, Sonets & songs of Sadnes and pietie, made into Musicke of five parts, Preface, 1588
my left pinky decided to stay up on its own without my having to fret about it. #wellthattooktwentyyears #letsseeifithappenstomorrow #lolhashtag
Tumblr Tuesday: Typhoon Haiyan Relief Edition
Direct from the Office of the President of the Philippines.
Inspiring, enlightening updates from UNICEF’s humanitarian efforts around the world. Donations given now help supply health kits, hygiene kits, and clean water to affected Filipino communities.
A look inside the lives of Filipino children currently living in evacuation zones. Citizens of Great Britain can donate £5 by texting DONATE to 70066.
Doctors Without Borders
Documenting their pursuit of a better cure for TB as well as their emergency responses to natural disasters. Cargo teams are currently prepping supplies to be sent to the Philippines, just one of the 60 countries Doctors Without Borders aids every year.
In Other News
Comprehensive but digestible daily round ups of what’s happening around the world. Stay updated on the most recent news from the Philippines, ways to help, and places to donate money to typhoon survivors.
For more ways to help our friends in the Philippines, look here.
"[Auer] also mentions a similar stroke, the picchiettato, which he describes as ‘a heavier variety of Spiccato employed at times for single or double-stop passages demanding greater tonal strength."
"The violin … must be held in a natural horizontal position, with its scroll pointing in a straight line in front of the player’s nose …. This correct position … is … essential … for artistic bowing and satisfactory tone production"
NYU bathroom dialogue in LL1 stall.